Connect existing cluster procedure installs several CAST AI components into a cluster.
This is done in phases to provide different levels of experience:
- Phase 1 - is meant to provide visibility around connected clusters without the possibility of tuning it; one can think of Phase 1 as operating in read-only mode.
- Phase 2 - enables all the functionality of the CAST AI platform mostly around clusters optimization; CAST AI platform instructs clusters and Cloud Providers to re-arrange used resources to reach the most optimal state.
CAST AI Agent is the first component installed when a new cluster is connected.
The agent runs as a Pod in a CAST AI dedicated namespace:
» kubectl get pods -n castai-agent NAME READY STATUS RESTARTS AGE castai-agent-7f9d7ff65b-8qm7p 1/1 Running 0 78m castai-agent-cpvpa-56f749fb-n2wzp 1/1 Running 0 22d
- CAST AI Kubernetes Agent is responsible for sending cluster state data (snapshots) to the main system
- Cluster Proportional Vertical Autoscaler is responsible for tuning allocated resources for
castai-agentPods based on a predefined formula
CAST AI Cluster Controller, Evictor, and Spot Handler (installed as DaemonSet, not as a regular Deployment) components are installed when a connected cluster is promoted to Phase 2, which enables cost savings by managing the customer's cluster:
❯ k get pods -n castai-agent NAME READY STATUS RESTARTS AGE castai-agent-7f9d7ff65b-8qm7p 1/1 Running 0 80m castai-agent-7f9d7ff65b-kf2zp 1/1 Running 0 5h7m castai-agent-cpvpa-56f749fb-n2wzp 1/1 Running 0 22d castai-cluster-controller-757997ff6c-r6x25 1/1 Running 0 27d castai-cluster-controller-757997ff6c-xw54g 1/1 Running 0 27d castai-evictor-5684748495-kl2q4 1/1 Running 0 22d castai-kvisor-787c5dd946-gmzs5 1/1 Running 0 6d18h castai-spot-handler-44shj 1/1 Running 0 43m
- Cluster controller is responsible for executing actions it receives from the central platform (like for example, accepting a newly created node to the cluster, etc.)
- Evictor is responsible for removing pods from underutilized nodes to be able to decrease the overall amount of cluster nodes
- Spot Handler is responsible for scheduled event monitoring (provided by Instance Metadata Service) and delivering them to the central platform
- kvisor is responsible for image vulnerability scanning, Kubernetes YAML manifests linting, and CIS security recommendations.
The CAST AI platform includes the following roles out of the box:
- Owner - Full access to clusters, billing, and organization management.
- Member - Full access to clusters, view-only access to billing.
- Viewer - view-only access to clusters and billing.
Updated about 2 months ago